I’m sitting here writing with the fragrant aroma of a pecan pie rising up from the oven. As corny as it sounds, I’m glad we have a holiday like Thanksgiving – sometimes it takes a national holiday to remind me of some simple truths.
Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, quite possibly because it’s antithetical to commercialism. I’ve always hated the fact that retailers and their ilk have pushed Thanksgiving into the shadow of the all important Christmas season. If they can’t sell their plastic turkies and fake leaves by September, Thanksgiving is a lost cause. Perhaps it’s because Thanksgiving is not really about purchasing stuff – they’re at a loss to profit from the holiday.
I’m not going to get into the whole dirty history of Thanksgiving with this post, or blather nostalgically about past holidays. Instead, I’m going to take a few minutes to list a few of the things I’m most thankful for.
1. I married a wonderful guy. We’re still married. Don’t you love getting things right the first time? (not my usual mode of doing things, I must admit.)
2. We both have our health. It only takes a few minutes of dealing with a minor illness or injury to realize just how big of a blessing that is.
3. We’re a heartbeat away from being homeless. In other words, we own a house, he has a good job, and nothing horrible has happened. (we’re all a heartbeat from being homeless, just think about it.)
4. I had my own art show this year. That’s a huge step forward for me.
5. We had enough nice (50 degree) weather so that I could clean up the yard before the snow hits on Friday. AND the guys came and picked up my 8+ bags of leaves and mess today. (I know, I know, this is a stupid thing to make my top 5, but right now the weather makes or breaks my day.)
So in the spirit of Thanksgiving, here’s a photo I took a few days earlier of an acorn squash. True to form, this squash is now residing in the fridge as part of a side dish for tomorrow’s dinner. Happy Thanksgiving everyone, and I hope your holiday is filled with as much blessing as ours!